Monday, February 21, 2011

Letting Go pt2: Tumbling Jericho

So often do I find myself praying to God for change. I am striving after Him and where I think He's guiding me, but become frustrated and impatient because in front of me lies this huge obstacle. It's like a wall that prevents me from progressing. I am reminded of Joshua 6 and its account of the Walls of Jericho. This imposing fortress is blocking me from my desired destination filled with my goals and my dreams. Whether it's waiting for career opportunities to blossom, or relationships to progress, or church ministries to bear fruit, I often feel a glimpse of day 4 or 5 of the 7 day march around the walls and the strenuous perseverance and faith necessary to keep following God's direct commands.

Then I get owned as God reminds me of His command that "The city and all that is in it are to be devoted to the Lord," - Joshua 6:17. My selfish and prideful ambition taints the gracious and assured promises of God. How often do I pray to God expressing desires for progress while my heart clearly wants it for my own gain? I want this job not to be a witness to my coworkers or make money to help people, but so that I can have a successful future and spending money for ray bans and guitar equipment. I want to get closer to this person not to direct them to Christ, but to show them more of myself feed my ego. I always want to speed things up and get to where I want and forget the graceful sovereignty of God that He is completely intentional with His timing and uses every day of marching me around what I view as an obstacle to purify my own desires and see to it that the desires of my heart and mind are in line with his own. I realize how important this 7 day march around the city is as God not only shows his faithfulness but also shows me enough grace to make sure that my heart is in the right place so that His glory would be rightfully proclaimed.

God reminds me that I need to check myself and make sure that my intention is to devote everything He provides back to Him before I seek for more
.

"All a man's ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart." - Proverbs 21:2


2 Comments:

Blogger mimijoe said...

letting go is sometimes hard, but when we do,
i think God will bless us and reward us hundredfold :)

February 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger timothy said...

amen bro

February 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home