Friday, April 24, 2009

Treating Patients

I haven't written a blog in a while or at least finished them. I have like 5 half finished ones on my computer that I will hopefully finish sometime soon.

But for now I've been thinking about what my vision of being a doctor is.

A doctor is, a middle aged, hard working, brilliant, person. He wears white: a clean, sterile, white lab coat complementing his business attire and stethoscope. He administers shots and prescribes various drugs to make us feel better. We go to him to get our physical ailments fixed.

Why do I want to become a doctor? Obviously, to help people, to make them feel better. In my mind I have this specific vision of a doctor but I don't necessarily see him doing all the clinical work. It's interesting because I see him sitting with a patient and simply talking to him, asking him how he feels, taking time to care for him as a person, making him laugh. I remember someone telling me this week that "laughter is the best medicine" and I'm starting to think that maybe it is. Maybe laughter is part of what I envision as being a doctor. Maybe making people laugh and telling feel-good stories fulfills the profession. Maybe you don't have to be able to diagnose diseases and treat people physically to help them feel better.

Only God knows where I am heading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home