Friday, August 28, 2009

'All I Want Is...'

I wrote this a while ago but it definitely has been a resounding theme throughout the last couple months.

"I find that a lot of times in life I come to God without any words to say. I come to him tired and burdened, weary and broken and on the verge of apathy. There are those times where I just lay down on my bed and let my mind drift off trying to come up with any combination of words that I can express to God in order to tell him what is on my heart and ultimately I fail to do so. His grace, however, refuses to let me fail as it grants me assistance through the Spirit. I really like the verse in Romans 8:26 that says, “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” Like that verse says, as I lay there on my bed, I really believe that it is the Spirit that always leads me back to the simple but important bridge of the song “For This Cause” that says, “all I want is You, Jesus.”


Amidst the chaos of everyday life, God knows the magnitude of how much and how often I need to pray this prayer of redirection and refocus on the one constant, the ultimate sufficiency. I go about everyday throwing my heart at every tangible and easy route to some sort of stimulation I associate with happiness only to end up with the same emptiness and bitterness and grief. But God loves me too much to give up on my heart and brings it back to pray this prayer again and again and ask to be consumed by His presence and nothing else.

I just want more of You."


this is completely unrelated to the post...


But this is a picture from back in the day (2006 nba eastern conference finals miami heat [go dwade] vs. detroit pistons [you guys are done this season]) and it is one of my favorite pictures of all time. I freaking love it. The game, as you can probably tell, is at miami florida but that did not stop this single pistons fan, though consumed by a sea of white, to proudly cheer for his team when they scored. That's what I'm talkin' about.

I greatly admire his courage and team pride
.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Chu said...

i feel the same way bro.
good post

August 29, 2009 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger dtothak said...

i love that picture.
you can see it in the idea of being sanctified, being set apart from the world.
the pistons fan is clearly unashamed and you can see that he's set apart.
thats how we're called to be for the gospel.

thanks for helping me see that through your post

September 6, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home