Saturday, November 22, 2008

musical memories

As I sit here frustrated at not being able to understand calculus while my damn puppy insists on gnawing on my clothes, I am thinking about how music has the ability to elicit so many memories. (not that my situation and that point correlates at all.)

Some of my memories are:
Tupac - Unconditional love = 8th grade and beginning to understand the true meaning of the saying "bros bef
ore hoes."
Augustana - Boston = desiring/contemplating the decision to go to east coast for college to start fresh and leave everything behind.
Brooke Fraser - Arithmetic = my continual longing to understand Grace.
U2 - With or Without You = James, Jeff, Andrew, Biggie
Yellowcard - any song = Caleb's obsessions with things he likes.
John Mayer - Daughters = being called "homo" for liking this song.
Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated = agreeing with my friends in eighth grade that this song was for all the weirdo emo kids and making fun of them when in reality I liked the song. (my confession.)
Jon Foreman - any song = David Kim
The Postal Service - Such Great Heights = Jeff Ahn
Justin Timberlake - Lovestoned (I think she knows) = my constant internal c
onflict between dancing and being too embarrassed.
Kanye West - Stronger = daft punk
Daphne Loves Derby - any song = my only sibling.
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze = the first song I learned on guitar.
Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day = Mike Ly
Journey - Don't Stop Believing = karaoke-ing this at prom and the strength of believing wholeheartedly in something.
50 Cent - P.I.M.P. = My life till this day. (just kidding.)
David Crowder Band - All I Can Say = Realizing that when it comes down to it, my problems and troubles are minuscule in comparison to who He is.
Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved = I just remember Jose loving this song for some reason.
The Fray - How to Save a Life = reminds me of how much I used to hate this band because of this song where I couldn't understand what the hell the main singer was singing because he slurred the hell out of the words. But now they are fine.
Colbie Caillat - Realize = me realizing that I am in love with Colbie Caillat.
Justin Timberlake - Sexy Ladies (let me talk to you) = probably the most awkward moment in my life as I was designing my pages for yearbook in the photo room alone. It was the first time I've ever heard this song because it came on randomly through shuffle and I thought it was a nice groove so the last chorus comes around and I'm there singing "I've got sexy ladies" which is already sufficiently awkward only to be complemented by my yearbook adviser Mr. Ziegler coming in right as I was singing. The look he gave me was a mixture of confusion, worry, and "wtf?"
Hillsong United - any song = Genuine encounter.
John Mayer - Gravity = reminds me of anytime I am down and maybe slowly, but definitely surely, get back up and get going again.
John Mayer - any song = the reason I love guitar and appreciate the art of song writing.

this picture rocks (even if it doesn't deal with the blog at all). but I don't support either team.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger mnkymn22 said...

very true. how tunes can bring forth memories. love you

November 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very nostalgic. i really enjoyed this one.

November 22, 2008 at 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is nostalgic..
i remember caleb listening to yellowcard on his CD player and making fun of dashboard all the time

screw dashboard!

it's crazy how music can break down barriers

November 22, 2008 at 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great entry! from the heart its DEEP!

November 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM  
Blogger Raymond Kim said...

hey mama (kanye west)- reminds me of my mom. lol

November 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is honest and sincere
anyone can relate or at least think about the songs that bring certain memories, good or bad.

one song in my mind in particular is by queens
"we are the champion" because this year that song will be played in honor of the lakers =]

November 23, 2008 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger BrianH said...

you really never cease to read my mind man
your blogs are getting better,
im never bored reading your blogs.

good read (5-ft).

November 23, 2008 at 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I look through the songs I have been listening too, I also see a connection between the song and my life.
I am glad you shared this blog with me Bryan. If I have any time in my schedule, I will go continue reading more of your blogs.

November 23, 2008 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger dtothak said...

you forgot these
gold digger (kanye west)- story of bryan kang's life
holiday inn (chingy)- davids favorite song

November 24, 2008 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger dtothak said...

get i get a song?

November 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home