Sunday, October 26, 2008

"In these deep city lights, I could get lost tonight."


I am thankful to have a window in my hall that overlooks Downtown Los Angeles.














On Tuesday as I sat there enjoying the view of Downtown LA, I noticed a contrast between the image I saw and the reality of the city life. Within these deep city lights there stood violence, murder, death, homeless, depressed, and broken people, but from where I stood, I could see the overall picture and feel a surprising sense of security, peace, and tranquility. Somehow the beauty of entire city masked the filth within it.

I felt like this was an important idea in relation to life and how I need to sometimes step back and view the entire picture rather than focus on those small things that can go wrong within it. Everyday I wake up with the same general agenda of taking on what life gives me. I feel like the danger in this approach is that everyday there are events, people, and things, which I have no control of, which can easily make or break my day. Most of the time when something goes wrong that single event is all I can think about. I easily forget how miniscule this single event will seem in the grand scheme of things. I forget the faith I have in the future that everything will end up working out and things will somehow come together for a good reason and purpose. I need to remember to take a step back and view life more collectively.

I am thankful to have been reminded of this lesson a couple days before my 18th birthday because it helped my discretion when reflecting on the past year. Now that I take a step back and look over the year as a whole, I find it hard to remember many things that I wasn’t thankful for or thought were blessings. How amazing it is when looking at life in its entirety (or at least the past year) that I can truly see the beauty of how somehow things manage to come together and work out.

6 Comments:

Blogger BrianH said...

deep
its good to know your keeping it real
and that you shouldn't get so down
on the little things.

good stuff

ps. this is def ATLEAST 8ft deep

October 26, 2008 at 2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is truly from the heart bro!
i know things can get tough, but you know who to turn to, and he is ALWAYS there for you. REMEMBER THAT!
stay strong! study hard pray harder!

October 28, 2008 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger mnkymn22 said...

introspection.

hell of a gift bryan

November 1, 2008 at 11:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good blog update, nice picture.

November 2, 2008 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger alex slevcove said...

the deception of comfort.

November 13, 2008 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspirational.

I was impressed about how you took a picture of downtown LA and related it to your daily struggles.
Continue to strive what you want to accomplish. I also agree with Peter said. "He is ALWAYS there for you."

November 23, 2008 at 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home